Friday, September 8, 2017

Jacobs fleece #31





Jacobs fleece #31 should be dry, but I like to make sure the fleeces are bone dry before I bag them up.  I don't want to take any chances that mould might develop before I can finish the processing.






I happen to have on hand a couple of Jacobs fleeces that I had processed early last year to spin.  I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to try out my project idea.

I am glad I did!  I learned a lot about working with these fleeces.  They are a different breed than the fleece rug I wove before, the fiber needs a little more help as I weave to keep in the roving form.  So I made some adjustments.






I also found that even though I thought I had plenty of roving, I did not.  The finished rug is about 3/4 of the size I thought it was going to be.  I weighed the finished rug and did some calculations and I estimated that I will need approximately 1 1/2 lbs of roving to make a rug 30x45 inches.  Then I weighed the rug I made that size out of the Museum fleeces, and found that it was exactly 1 1/2 lbs!


 

Here is the rug made out of the Museum fleeces, you can see why I am so excited by the colorful Jacobs fleece rug.  It is going to take a lot of processing, but I am so happy with the results that I think it will be well worth the work.









  Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina



The girls are getting along pretty well!

3 comments:

  1. I bet that rug will feel wonderful to step on in bare feet. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful rugs!!!! Remember to keep notes for each rug...especially the source of the wool!!!! (So happy that the girls are doing OK together!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both rugs are beautiful; the bigger one looks like birch bark!

    ReplyDelete