Friday, June 16, 2017

Double Flyer Wheel and Hungarian flax wheel

I posted a little bit about the Double Flyer wheel on the Tuesday Weavers blog a couple of weeks ago, because I had just picked it up at the post office while I was on my way to weaving.



I unpacked the wheel as soon as I got to the Center, and I began to put it together.  I do not know anything about the history of this particular wheel, and I hope to find out if it is an antique or if it is vintage, when my wheel repair guru "Bobbin Boy" takes a look at it next week.





















This wheel needs a tune up, I do not believe it has ever been used, so along with getting the rest of the distaff made it needs a good going over to get into spinning shape.

This wheel and the Irish Flax wheel will be going next Friday and I will probably be taking the third "new" wheel that recently made it to the Studio.




The next wheel, is an itty bitty Hungarian Flax wheel, and I mean itty bitty!

The hub on this wheel is well below knee level, and while I have not measured the wheel, it can't be more than 10 inches!



A tiny painted wheel that has seen lots of use!



A distaff full of really old flax!








Small worm holes, long inactive.   The flyer has hooks on one arm and holes for a moveable spring or peg, on the other arm.




This wheel will be making the trip to the wheel doctor as well, so that I can get a peg put in the distaff so that it doesn't swivel/topple while it is in use.  It is a willing spinning wheel and I am a willing spinner, a good match!

That is it for now, until next time, Happy Spinning, Tina

3 comments:

  1. Where do you find all these unique wheels?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I belong to a wonderful group on Ravelry, the "Antique Wheels" group. A couple of the members search far and wide and find these wheels all over the country and all over the world. Sometimes, I just can't help myself, and I am up to 9 wheels now!

      Delete
  2. Those are awesome Tina! I hope to see that flax wheel when we see each other next.

    ReplyDelete