Friday, January 27, 2017

Silk Brick

I recently ordered Silk Bombyx brick so that I could learn how to spin it this year.  Last year I learned how to spin cotton, and I think what I learned last year has really helped me as I make my first attempts at silk.  You wouldn't think so, silk has really long fibers and cotton has really short fibers, but the trick is they both need a ton of twist.  Since silk is slippery, it drafts apart very easily until enough twist gets in there to hold it together.

Here is one brick in a glass vase my Son in law made me a few years ago.  It is as soft as it seems to be, even more really, and can you see the shine!
First faltering steps, I had to make some adjustments to my antique wheel to improve the uptake cause this silk likes to be spun over the fold, and you need a little extra umph when you want the thread to wind onto the bobbin.

This is as far as I have gotten on it this week, there have been a lot of catching up on unfinished projects going on here in the studio, and I have a few more yet to do.

My hope is to be able to spin fine enough 2 ply to weave with on my floor looms and also on the band looms as well.  I have started a silk project today with commercial silk thread and yarn, I posted about that over on the Tuesday Weavers blog, "Loomy Tunes".

I love learning new things, and expanding my horizons in the crafts that I already know. I am trying to figure out a way to be able to give all my favorite crafts the time they deserve.  If I come up with a good plan, I will let you know!

Until next time,  Happy Spinning and
Weaving, Tina

3 comments:

  1. I really love how that silk is spinning up!!! What a lovely fiber.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I haven't tried all silk yet but was an abysmal failure at cotton. sigh....
    Will you dye any of it at all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe, that rabbit hole seems to be opening up more and more often for me, I am trying to not fall in!

    I wish I could show you how to spin cotton, it is fun, once you "get it".

    ReplyDelete