Friday, July 22, 2016

Grandma's Cotton Cards

I have recently taken on the task of learning how to spin cotton, I posted about it last week on The Tuesday weavers blog, "Loomy Tunes".  After I posted I remembered that I had my Grandma's cotton carders in the Studio, and I went looking for them.






I found them easily, and I decided to use them to card some seed cotton that I had just finished ginning. (getting the seeds out!)





I charged one of the carders.





I carded the cotton lint until it was happy with it.






I unloaded the cards.




I used the knitting needle to compress the cotton lint into a puni, the cotton version of a rolag.








This orange thread 20/2 size is my spinning guide,  I would like to use this handspun cotton as weft on an upcoming weaving project.

I love using these cards for a couple of reasons.  First and foremost they have family history, my Mom can remember using them to make cotton batts to put in the many quilts my Grandmother made, and they work a lot better than the newer ones I had borrowed from the Weavers at Norris.

Until next time, Keep on Crafting, Tina

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that the carders came with a story...and now you are adding to that story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your handspun cotton is looking amazing - I've never been able to enjoy spinning cotton but I have friends that do and it's lovely.

    ReplyDelete