Friday, July 29, 2016

2 Extremes

 I took part in a Roving to Shawl competition a couple of weeks ago, and for the shawl that we made, I was required to spin much a thicker, lower twist single ply yarn than I had spun in a long, long time.  I was a little nervous about it, and I must say that even though we came in last place I was thrilled that I was able to make the yarn I set out to make, instead of putting up with making my usual yarn.  To celebrate this new found liberty, I have been spinning up the roving that we had left over from the competition, into nice thick low twist singles.



I plan to make more scarves along the lines of the competition shawl, well at least using the same colors.











This week I have also been putting my Grandmothers cotton carders to  good use and I have carded up almost all of the ginned cotton that I have on hand, and I have been spinning it on my small Indian book Charkha that I recently picked up on a Ravelry destash.

Cotton is spun much finer and at an incredibly high twist, the total opposite of the wool I have recently been spinning, it is fun to stretch my skills in opposite directions everyday.  Yesterday afternoon, I emptied the one bobbin on my Canadian Production Wheel, and I decided that was going to try to spin some commercially prepped cotton sliver on this, my fastest wheel.  Luckily, I have been practicing for the last 2 weeks or so on spindles and the charka, and gaining a lot of experience in how cotton likes to be spun.  I had to figure out how to do it on a wheel that has flyer and a bobbin, and that has a pull towards the bobbin, instead of a spindle that has no pull at all!  Once I got it, I didn't want to stop!  Zoom, Zoom as they say!

I found myself stopping to spin a few minutes through the evening, and early this morning I was again drawn to the wheel, like I haven't been in awhile.  I plan to use this handspun cotton as weft in some upcoming projects, so I need to get a lot of it spun while I am emptying the looms of current projects.

That is it for today's post, Until next time, Keep Crafting, Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment