Friday, April 1, 2016

Not Quite Done

I didn't get all the Nigoras done last week, but I am well over half way!  Kami, Bert, Cerin and Ailin all plucked/rooed out fairly easily, for Ernie however, I had to bring out the scissors.  The butt ends of his fleece, which is the part of the fiber nearest to his skin, had let loose, but it was felted just enough, that it wouldn't roo easily.  He was quite adamant that he was going to have none of that thank you!

  I know that in goat language, the pulling of hair is quite the insult, so that while many of the goats do not take long term offense to having all that nice fluff pulled off of their "over heated in all this heat" bodies, some of them really let me know that it is not going to be tolerated.

I prefer not to shear the fleeces, mostly because it increases the amount of guard hairs that I get in the fleece, but sometimes it just cannot be helped.  I think that I will be able to salvage quite a bit of Ernie's fleece, and that is a good thing.

Ernies brother, Bert however, was quite nice to roo.  Bert is my only white Nigora, and the staple length on these fibers is at least 4 inches, which is fabulous!
Here you can see the section on Bert's side where I took that gorgeous handful of fluff.  If you look closely, you can see the guard hairs that remain on the animal, (don't forget to click on the photo to enlarge it) these will be shed within the next couple of weeks and a whole new crop of them will appear.  As summer comes on I will be able to see the beginnings of next years winter insulation begin to peek out, and by fall they will all be glorious!

I still have all 3 of the yearlings to too,  Ellie and May, are beginning to loosen up a bit, and I too a handful of Ellie's fleece every time I go out.  She seems to put up with it quite well.  Her fleece for this year is along the lines of 2.5 -3 inches at best, next year should be more like the 3 inches I am getting off of the older goats.  Dash however hasn't even begun his shed yet.

Until next time, Happy Crafting, Tina

1 comment:

  1. You can almost feel that fiber through the pictures!!! WOW!

    ReplyDelete