Friday, October 2, 2015

New to Me Treasure

I think I have said this before, but I will say it again, I like old things.  They don't have to be antique by any means, but previously used and loved things, especially crafting supplies falls in that category for me.

I was perusing Ebay sometime last week and found a homemade, previously used travel pillow for bobbin lace.  This pillow is fitted to a travel sized suitcase, and it has patterns and bobbins and a book and a few tools as well.  The price was reasonable and well, I couldn't resist, I bought it!  It arrived well before the estimated day, which thrilled me no end.

 Here is the case, which is in pretty good shape.
 The roller pillow, with a pattern still on it.  There is a name mentioned several times among the papers and letter that came with this pillow, but I won't mention it here, except to say that a quick search showed me that she, the Lacer, was born in 1910, and that she was deceased.

There were newspaper articles from 1956, in Seattle area, and a directory of the International Lace Society from 1979, where I confirmed her last  known address.  I have contacted the nearest lace guild for more information about the Lacer and the pillow, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

The package itself came from Houston, but I have no idea how it got there!  If old tools could talk!  I already put a lace project on the pillow and made a little progress early this morning.  This time I am using 48 bobbins, a new record!


Here are the 49 bobbins that came with the pillow, I am using some of them on this current project.  It is not yet ready for pictures, I am learning how to do "spiders" and "rose ground" with this one, it is fairly wide and it will be at least a couple of yards of lace for a special someone.




As I said before I finished the square lace piece.  I still have to do the finishing  and framing though.  That will come next month when life just might slow down for a minute.  I don't want to rush the finishing since I haven't ever done it before.  I will be sure to post my progress.

I thought you might want some perspective.  :)

Until next time Happy Crafting, Tina

No comments:

Post a Comment