Friday, September 19, 2014

Unexpected Harvest

My Nigora kid Ernie, got really sick a couple of months ago.  He is fine now, gaining weight back and even feeling a little spunky!  I have been watching him very closely since he got sick, I was really fooled by all that lovely fleece, I had no idea he was so thin!

Just like people, when an animal undergoes  a difficult health situation, you can see it in their hair.  Just the other day I noticed that he had begun to roo.  That means that his lovely fleece was falling out!  I spent a couple of sessions over the next few days and literally pulled his fleece out.

He went from this:




To this:



Luckily, his guard hairs are still in place, and a new fleece will be growing out shortly.  If it gets too cold, I will make him a coat.  His fleece pretty much fills a walmart bag, I haven't played with it yet, but you can be sure I will!

Until next time, Happy Spinning, Knitting and Weaving, Tina

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were able to save the fleece that he was shedding. I'm sure that it is super soft!

    ReplyDelete