A month or so ago, one of my weaving friends, Betsy, gave me a couple of Jacob's sheep fleeces. I kept them upstairs in the studio, sniffing gleefully whenever I would pass them. (Such a nice sheepy smell.) This past week I have been taking a lock or two at a time and washing them in different ways, and using different soaps/detergents, to see what I felt was the best way to handle these particular fleeces.
I took some tulle I had on hand and cut it into pieces large enough to wrap around a line of locks. I ended up with 8 pieces of tulle, and last evening I loaded them up, in anticipation that I would be able to do some washing today.
Once again I did a soapy soak, with a little less soap, then a rinse with a little bit of vinegar, and then one final plain water rinse.
Tomorrow I will unpack them and see how clean they came before I do anymore. The last rinse water was quite clear, and I used a lot less water than I normally would have, (and a lot less heavy lifting!) so if the locks are in good shape, I may have found my new favorite way to wash fleece.
Until next time, Happy Spinning, Knitting and Weaving, Tina