Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Making Room

I met Lou Ann for lunch today, we do that every once in awhile.  She brought me some yummy tea she had just picked up in Knoxville, and I brought her some of my blue jean stash.  She thought I was crazy to give up that treasure trove of blue jeans, but actually I am starting to feel the pinch!

I have 2 more tubs of blue jeans, and I might keep a little bit of it, enough for a rug or two, but the rest is going to Lou Ann who is a beast when it comes to beating in that wonderful kind of weft!








I have fallen head over heels for re-cycling t-shirts!  Dear One went out of town this week, and as he was leaving he called me to tell me that he had gone through his drawers to clear out the shirts he no longer wears!  Isn't that sweet!


This is my stash at the moment.  I have separated the shirts into color families.  Reds, yellows, blues, greens, browns, blacks and finally whites and greys.  Most of the shirts are sizes medium to ex-large, but there are several blues that are smalls, so it will take a couple of those to equal a big one.






With all these shirts piling up I am really needing the space on the shelves that was taken up by the jeans.  I am eying some of my fabrics and loopers as well, I haven't decided about that though!  I would probably regret that de-stash!

I have also been slowly tying on the warp Lou Ann and I wound onto the little leclerc last week.  I think I am about half way done.  I think that tying on is definitely not faster than threading all over again, but one strong point for me this week is that I don't have think too much while I am doing it!  I work on it for 15-30 minutes, then move on to something else, only to come back to it again, when I have a spare moment.



This is that same long, long white 21/3 cotton warp.  I make Swedish lace napkins, and hand towels white or other colors as well.

This loom is perfect for Swedish lace, since it is a jack style loom it can do those uneven weaves with ease. 


When I use white as the weft, I get these elegant napkins, when I use a color, it would look good in any country cottage.  I love it!


That is it for now,

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina







4 comments:

  1. I have already started working on the blue jean stash! It's the perfect thing to do on this chilly evening. That is quite a stack of tee shirts! How many rugs do you reckon that will make????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might be able to get 5 or 6 good sized rugs or of this batch.

      Delete
  2. I see many happy hours of prep and weaving in both your futures! How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys a super busy. What fun.

    ReplyDelete