Monday, October 8, 2012
We have to dress up in costume to participate, and I have to tell you that I have had a blast getting ready! Linda suggested that we get long skirts, white blouses from the thrift shops around the area, and we were to stick with cotton, linen and wool as our fabric choices.
I was able to find a linen tablecloth for under 10 dollars. I used that
as fabric to make a bonnet and apron. I also bought some granny boots to wear, (I love granny boots anyway, so it is a great excuse to get some!).
My sewing went very well, I started doing the seams by hand but soon realized that, 1. it was going to take too long, and 2. my hand sewing was terrible. I left the side seams on the apron as they were, but I switched to the machine for the remainder of the project.
I finished both pieces last week, but I realized that the bonnet needed a little bit of something to finish the look. I had lost my Tatting Shuttles last year when I left a baby bonnet project somewhere with them attached to it, so I had to go out and get a couple new ones to work up this little project.
There is a Tatter at the Museum. He usually sits on a stool in the middle of the vendors area, tatting away, and I want to see how he holds his shuttles. I am self taught so I am always looking for ways to improve my technique.
I should finish the lace tonight and I will hand sew this lace on the brim of the bonnet. I will be sure to post a couple of pictures of the Bonnet with the lace on it, and also the whole costume or Kit as the real re-enactors call it. I don't think that there are going to be "Thread Counters" at the Museum, I don't think I would hold up to their scrutiny! :)
Until next time, Happy Weaving, Spinning, Knitting and now Tatting and Sewing, Tina