Friday, July 13, 2012

Simple fix

I have been weaving bread cloths this week.  I have also been using a temple to prevent the excessive draw in of the Brooks Boquet hand manipulated lace.  When I use a temple, I will sometimes get a little loop on the side of the towel where the weft looped around the temple prong, and I was unaware of it.

Just like this! In the past, I have snipped one end of the loop and wove it in there along the edge.  Sometimes, that is a little difficult because the edge warp threads can be a little closer together than the body of the cloth.
What I have just started doing this week is carefully moving the loop further into the cloth
little by little,

then I weave a tapestry needle into the cloth,
carefully snip the loop in the right place,

and it is done!  

Once it is washed, you won't even be able to see it!

Here is a little taste of Summer from Farmstead Studio! ( I have been trying to work this picture in for weeks, so there you go!)

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

Friday, July 6, 2012

Laces

This is a picture of the first sample cloth I finished last week, before I got the temple from the center.  Once I got the temple, the warp threads stopped snapping and I was able to weave without the hassle of repair threads!

I made a few changes in the lace insert.  I have made it slightly smaller, leaving a broader plain weave band around it, and I have integreated  the lace a little more firmly to the surrounding cloth.
 The lace pattern grows faster than the plain weave cloth around it, so you have to throw extra plain weave threads each pattern repeat.  In the first example above you can see that the side of the lace collapses away from the body of the cloth.  In the close up here to the right, I have taken those extra shots of plain weave, all the way into that very first bit of lace.  It flattens it out a bit and strengthens the cloth as well.

I timed myself as I wove the lace panel in this last cloth.  It takes me 3 hours to weave just the lace!  I may get a little faster with practice, but I was hoping to finish several of these cloths to take with me to the west coast on the 25th.  They are not due until November, but I thought I could get maybe half of the 10 done, but now I don't know.  I don't have as much weaving time available as I would like to have, but most of that is my own fault!

I wanted to show you another experiment I have been working on this week.  I have been trying to find a knitting pattern to use for the ugly skein of yarn I posted a couple of months ago. ( at least I think it was on this blog?)  I tried knitted lace, and thought that it detracted from the colors.  I tried a simpler pattern, but it just seemed to heavy.  Finally, I was with Lou Ann on knit night, and she was talking about a crochet pattern that her sister was really enjoying, "Solomon's Knot"  I got to see a picture of  it and I really liked it.  I went to you tube and searched for a tutorial, found one, and experimented with some waste yarn I have until I felt comfortable with the crochet hook, (it has been years!).

Dear One and I were touring the Smoky Mountains on July 4th, it's a national holiday you know, and it is our anniversary as well, we celebrated our 37 years together. While we were driving, I was crocheting my handspun scarf.



You can see the knitted scarf I was crocheting from on the left, and the new Solomon's Knot scarf on the right.  It is much longer, much lighter, and shows off the yarn much better.  Today I will steam block it, then on Tuesday I will bring it to the Center to show it off to the girls!

Now to get upstairs and weave a bit, until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina