Monday, October 8, 2012

A Tiny bit of Lace!

This week, starting on Wednesday and through the weekend, the Tuesday Weavers are going to be setting up our booth at the Museum of Appalachia for their Homecoming Celebration.  There will be lots of music, food and vendors just like us.

We have to dress up in costume to participate, and I have to tell you that I have had a blast getting ready!  Linda suggested that we get long skirts, white blouses from the thrift shops around the area, and we were to stick with cotton, linen and wool as our fabric choices.


 I was able to find a linen tablecloth for under 10 dollars.  I used that
as fabric to make a bonnet and apron.  I also bought some granny boots to wear, (I love granny boots anyway, so it is a great excuse to get some!).


My sewing went very well, I started doing the seams by hand but soon realized that, 1. it was going to take too long, and 2. my hand sewing was terrible.  I left the side seams on the apron as they were, but I switched to the machine for the remainder of the project.





I finished both pieces last week, but I realized that the bonnet needed a little bit of something to finish the look.  I had lost my Tatting Shuttles last year when I left a baby bonnet project somewhere with them attached to it, so I had to go out and get a couple new ones to work up this little project.


I had first looked for Crochet lace, because I knew it would have worked up faster, but I fell in love with this Tatted Lace pattern.  It is called "Pie crusts", it is worked in 2 rows, with the first row taking longer to do because of all those rings!

There is a Tatter at the Museum.  He usually sits on a stool in the middle of the vendors area, tatting away, and I want to see how he holds his shuttles.  I am self taught so I am always looking for ways to improve my technique.


I should finish the lace tonight and I will hand sew this lace on the brim of the bonnet.  I will be sure to post a couple of pictures  of the Bonnet with the lace on it, and also the whole costume or Kit as the real re-enactors call it.  I don't think that there are going to be  "Thread Counters" at the Museum, I don't think I would hold up to their scrutiny! :)

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Spinning, Knitting and now Tatting and Sewing, Tina

5 comments:

  1. I hope your new shuttles are working out OK. That lace will be just the right finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to learn how to do that! The lace is beautiful and would hold up to my scrutiny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful lace and I admire the skill to do it. Simple my foot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know you tatted, too! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do needle tatting. I love that pattern you are using and it makes me want to get out my stuff again. Oh, for more hours in the day... :)

    ReplyDelete