Saturday, September 29, 2012

Worth all the fuss!

I had one more thing to do before I was free to go on a 2 night camping trip.  I had to deliver the teal shawl I had finally finished.  I had blocked it the night before, and it came out beautifully!

The first picture it true to color, I just love the magic of blocking!
I can't wait until my client sees it!  Knitting for money is not really worth the it, but it is really nice when someone likes what you have done!  

I have now knit the same pattern three times in a row, and in less than 1 month.  I have never done that before, and I probably will not do it again.  I loved the pattern, and I did get a little quicker at it, but I was really trudging along by the end of it.  Dear One can attest to the fact that when I finished the final cast off, I threw it on the corner table, and there it stayed until the next day!

I delivered it as we were heading out of town on what will probably be our last camp out of 2012.  We have continued to favor the Elkmont Campground in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.  We have toured several other campgrounds in the park, but by far it is our favorite.  The sites are roomy, and sometimes you can get a site by the river.  We have camped 4 times this year, and we hope to increase that number next year.  Dear One is wanting to do a winter camp out as well, but we will need a smaller 4 season tent and some super sleeping bags to pull that one off!

According to the forecast, we expected Friday to be wet and cold, but we had done cold and wet before, so we were not dissuaded.  To our delight Friday turned out to be fantastic!  We had sunshine the whole day, Dear One got a long run in, while I knitted, and then after lunch, we enjoyed a hike, and a fantastic dinner.  One of my more complicated ones.

I like to have several really easy meals and one that I have to mess with a little.  Plus, I always take 2 or 3 extra meals, like soup and bread, or beans and cornbread. ( I was expecting it to be cold!)  This time, for my fussy meal, I brought some steak, corn on the cob and potatoes, and I wanted to cook it all over the fire! 

 I wrapped the potatoes in heavy duty aluminum foil, and stuck them in the coals.  I soaked the corn in water for an hour and then placed the two of them on the rack above the coals.  I turned all both vegetables frequently, and when I thought that the corn was done,(I could smell it) I wrapped it husks and all in foil and set it to a cooler spot on rack.  The potatoes took forever, but when they were almost done, I put the marinated (italian dressing) steak on the grill.   (fireplace tools really help when you are cooking potatoes in the coals!) 

I watched the potatoes and when they were done, I put them with the corn to stay warm.  When the juices appeared on the top of the steak I flipped them over and took the potatoes and corn to the table.  The corn husks came off like magic, and the potatoes slipped out of the foil, ready to be opened and buttered.

By then, the steaks were done and I placed them on the plates, beside the veggies.  Then the moment of truth, Dear One took a bite of the steak, mmmmmm, it was wonderful!  Of course the corn and potatoes were great as well.  We washed it all down with Mikes Hard Lemonade!  It was worth all the fuss is all I can say, I think this may become a camping tradition.

After an evening walk, it was time for Smores.  I ate mine and Dear One's as well, since he doesn't really like them.  Can you imagine that!  Not liking smores!  Unbelievable!

The rain did finally catch up with us, 2:30 am I heard a gentle rain hit the tarp that covers our tent and porch area.  It was raining softly off and on this morning, as we took down the tent under the cover of that tarp, and packed all of it up, until all that was left was the big tarp.  By then, the rain was over and we were able to shake off a bunch of that rain, and leaves too.

Back home again, the tarp is already hung up on the line for a good airing.  The tent is put on top of one of the cars to air out too, and dry the little bit of rain that it received.  As I write this, the camping boxes are stored the tarps are almost dry, the first load is in the washer, and the tent is ready to be stored.   Again, it was worth all the fuss!

I am going to miss this!  I can't wait until next year!

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Spinning and Knitting, Tina

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a good time! Even though they kept saying RAIN, we had very little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shawl is beautiful, but I understand the finishing table toss! Your dinner description made my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a meal fit for a king. I am glad that you had a great time. I would enjoy that but I don't think that my DH would.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nuke your potatoes 3-5 minutes when you're packing to go, they will not perish over a weekends camp and it is much easier to finish them off with coals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, forgot, the shawl looks fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete