Friday, September 21, 2012

Brings back Memories

Last week, I posted a teaser about Crock Pot Granola.  I have just recently rediscovered Granola, it was a staple in my formative years, my Daddy loved it!  He also loved making it!

He would mix it up just right and then spend some time keeping watch over it in the oven.  I know that Mom made it too, but I remember how much he enjoyed the process. I must confess that I have not tried to make it in years, it is just too much fuss for something I can pick up at the store, right!  Plus it had always been too easy to burn!   Then about a month ago, Lou Ann started talking about making Granola in the crock pot.  I was intrigued.  She was going home to make some that very afternoon, because her sister was coming in for the weekend, and she thought that J would love it!  (She did!)

Lou Ann has started something here.  As soon as I got home I did a quick search on Google, and I found any number of recipes for it.  Like so many of these things, there is a great variety out there.  Everyone puts in what they like, and it comes out perfect!

I pieced together a recipe of the things I like:

Combine in a big bowl:

5 cups Old Fashioned Oats
2 T milled Flax Seed (Omega 3)
2 T Wheat Germ ( in the breakfast foods aisle with the cereal)
some Shredded Coconut (I like at least 1/2 cup in there)
Slivered almonds ( or whatever nut you like!)
Cinnamon (to taste)

Combine in a small bowl:

1/2 cup Honey (some use only 1/4 cup of sweet stuff)
1/2 cup butter (I use the real thing,  and again, some use only 1/4 cup)
1tsp of vanilla

Combine the two mixtures, then pour it all into a 3 qt Crock Pot that has been sprayed with a non stick spray.  Turn the Crock Pot on low and leave the lid off.  Most recipes say to have the lid on with a spoon stuck in it to let the moisture out, but I have to tell you that it takes a lot longer to cook that way.  In my Crock Pot it took well over 6 hrs when I had the lid partially on, so I am taking it off completely next time!

Unlike many Crock Pot recipes, this one you can't just fix it and forget it, you have to be around.  You don't have to stand over it, but you do have to have your nose on alert.  When you can smell that goodness in the air, it is time go give it a stir. Usually, that will be about every 30 minutes or so.  I have on a couple of occasions just turned it off when I had to go out, and resumed the cooking when I got back.

When the Granola is toasted to the color you want it to be, turn it out onto a cookie sheet to cool.  Now is when you can add all kinds of dried fruit.  My favorite is raisins, Lou Ann fancies Craisins,  but they are a bit tangy for my morning taste buds.  I have even heard that some add Chocolate chips to the mix once it is cool!  I have a plastic air tight container that I store my Granola in, it lasts me about a week, unless Dear one gets into it too! :)

The aroma, brings back such sweet Memories of my Daddy.  I need to see if  I can get their recipe from Mom, but then again, as I have seen, it was probably a little different each time they made it, just like mine has been.

What do you like in your Granola?

Happy Weaving, Spinning and Knitting, Tina

3 comments:

  1. i am absolutely trying this on saturday! cashews and dried strawberries and banana chips yum and maybe pumpkin seeds! do you have any preferences on the oats? i like to eat granola with vanilla yogurt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE granola....and it is sooooo easy this way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all sounds so good. I have never made it. I can't wait to try making it.

    ReplyDelete