Friday, August 17, 2012

New Weaver!!

I have been taking my MIL with me to the center on Tuesdays.  We may have missed a couple here and there, but for the last 5 months or so, she has been coming.  She walks from loom to loom, and talks to the weavers about their project, she has ripped seams, and she has cut fabric strips for different projects.

This last Tuesday after lunch she whispered, "Sit down here, I want to ask you something.  How do I go about taking the lessons?"  So, I explained to her about the classes.  Most people start out with the 6 classes, and then they are hooked and they just keep coming!  That is how we get more weavers for the center.  (That is what happened to me in 2001, after I was given a floor loom!)

Lou Ann and I picked out one of the smaller table looms to get ready for her.  The problem is, it was used for kids camp, and has a couple of yards of the mug rug warp left on it.   We thought it might be a good idea for her to weave that off using fabric strips, just to try it out.

This is the Leclerc Dorothy, one of the lighter table looms we have.  You see my MIL isn't very big, and we did not want to overwhelm her!
I cut some fabric strips from my stash at home.


I tied the warp back on and wove up a sample of what each fabric looks like on this warp.

I will take the bag of strips to her today before I go out of town, once again.  I am ordering replacement lever tabs for the loom, and I need to get her a couple of shuttles to work with before I take it to her.  Our fellow weaver Carl lives in the same complex that she does, in fact they are on the same floor!  So that, even if I am unavailable, I know that he would be able to help her.

I think that next Tuesday, I will be showing her the ropes on this sweet little loom!

Here's to a new weaver, until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

4 comments:

  1. Way to go MIL. I knew she would be a convert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew she was asking a lot of questions...and I could see she was watching the progress on the different looms. You just never know when that weaving bug is gonna bite!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Another weaving in the making!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great-another weaver!!

    ReplyDelete