Thursday, May 24, 2012

Doo-Dads

It was more than a month ago, that day that Lou Ann bought her Great Wheel.  We were snooping around the Antique shops in downtown Clinton Tn, and we came across a Doo-Dad.  At least that is what it said on the tag.  Of course it wasn't a Doo-Dad at all but a Drop Spindle.  It seems that someone made a trip to Mexico, and brought home a souvenir.

Of course it did not have the yarn on it, and it may not be the best drop spindle in the world, but I think when it gets a little more yarn on it, it will spin quite nicely. There are these cool rings that twirl when you spin it, and tons of  burned decorations on it, truly a one of a kind!  Or so we thought!

That's right, when we were hitting a few shops in Townsend yesterday, we found another one!  Not exactly the same, but it has the twirly bits and the same decorations on it too!  This time they called it a "Folk Art Piece".  I should have taken a picture of it, but I didn't think of that until we were down the road.  I didn't buy that one, you only need one Doo-Dad after all.

On our next stop, we were whipping through the booths at the next shop, where I found a Corning ware coffee pot with the innards in it.  That is something you don't see everyday, and it is something I have been looking for, so I picked it up.  Then I heard Lou Ann at the back of the shop calling me.  I made my way back there and there was a beautiful Great Wheel.  We oohed and aahed, and wondered at the price tag.  Even with the Minor's head it was quite steep.  We really weren't looking for a complete spinning wheel after all, just parts and pieces.  So we moved on, browsing here and there, not finding much of anything really that interested us.

We moved on towards home, we were both on a tight schedule really.  We were driving along, and saw another shop, we reviewed our time constraints and decided that we had time for one more stop.  I wasn't really impressed with the contents of some of these shops, I suppose if I was looking for old dishes I would be thrilled, but we are after very specific items to complete a Great Wheel. We ran across a couple of industrial end feed shuttles that were in good shape, and a good price too, but I really don't need another one.  

Then we found some old coverlets, stuck in a cradle.  We just had to pull them out and see how they were made, and how wide the loom must have been that they were woven on etc.  We put them back in the cradle and I lost my balance for a second and put my hand on a shelf to steady myself.  Then I looked on the shelf and saw.....

 Be still my heart, a spindle to a Great Wheel!  I have a Great Wheel that needs a spindle!  That was an amazing find!  We were almost speechless, this is by far the hardest piece to find for these old wheels, and I can now check it off of my list.

They even knew what it was!

Until next time, Happy Weaving and Spinning, Tina





15 comments:

  1. How lucky. I am so glad that you found a spindle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't believe that it was there on the shelf!!! Old coverlet pieces seem to be lucky for us...we'll have to keep looking!!! There are more places to stop on that highway...just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is wonderful!!! LOL. It is funny how you found it. I can just picture the look on your face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about the coverlet connection too! In fact I almost took that line with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems all the spirits aligned just right so that you could find the perfect spindle! How were the old coverlets, pricy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great find for your great wheel!

    I actually think the 'doo-dad' is a mexican hot chocolate frother (at least it looks like ones I've seen) but it looks to make a very cool drop spindle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, wow! Cindie is probably right! It probably is a hot chocolate frother! Maybe your mice would like their chocolate hot?

    ReplyDelete
  8. your doo-dad is called a molinillo it is for spinning hot chocolate into a foamy goodness. but what an awesome upcycle! awesome antique mojo on the great wheel spindle :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! That is cracking me up! The one I found first has a hook on the top of it and everything! That is why I thought it was a drop spindle! I suppose now I will have to try it out, maybe next fall with the Tuesday Weavers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just run across your blog. Here I am in Oaxaca Mexico looking vainly for carders and drop or supported spindles and having a difficult time finding them. Perhaps this means that the handcrafts are slowly fading away even here. So finally I have wool and 1 set of carders. It's the drop spindle that's the problem (I'm a novice & no good at supported spindle spinning). I picked up the molinillo (hot chocolate frother) on my kitchen counter and thought, "why not?" So I'll give it a try this afternoon. Thanks for writing your discovery to convince me that I'm not crazy,
    Linda in Oaxaca www.gitlitzdavidson.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I just happened to see your comment today, I don't often read past comment threads. The Molinillo works pretty good as a hand spindle, but you could do just as good with a cd and a dowel! You tube is full of great videos to get you started!

      Delete
  11. Your 'drop spindle' doo dad is actually a wisk used in Mexico to make hot coco. I love that you found a different use for it. Mom had acase of funny looking things, back in the day, and my sister sold every single one at her yard sale for a dollar each. She thought they were (smoking) pipe holders!!! Not until 20 years later did we discover what they really were! SOUP SPOONS found in Chinese restaurants! LOL!! Ain't that a great story?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. FYI, for making hot chocolate, put the ROUND part in the cup of milk, cocoa, sugar, and rub your hands back and forth 1/the handle in the middle. Use some cinnamon and a super small pinch of chile powder .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your 'drop spindle' doo dad is actually a wisk used in Mexico to make hot coco. I love that you found a different use for it. Mom had acase of funny looking things, back in the day, and my sister sold every single one at her yard sale for a dollar each. She thought they were (smoking) pipe holders!!! Not until 20 years later did we discover what they really were! SOUP SPOONS found in Chinese restaurants! LOL!! Ain't that a great story?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ....I love your "do~dah"...in spanish we call it s "molinillo" ...I use mine often to make chocolaté calienté...
    ..the rings get trill as you spin the untensil which creates a wonderful frothy foam.
    ...at other times...my molinillo became an entertaining rattle..to keep the baby amused.
    ...potatoes-papitas...eighter way..its lovely♥

    ReplyDelete