Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Playing with Nigora Sample

My dear friend Linda gave me a small sample of her goat "Kami's" fleece.  I was thrilled to see that there is no lanolin like substance in the fleece.  I am allergic to lanolin and had to give up my Shetlands several years ago, because of it.  I washed it in Euclan as soon as I got home yesterday, and by the evening it was dry enough to handle.

This picture is a little blurry, but I think you might be able to see the small guard hairs among the fluffy stuff.  I set to work de-hairing the sample.  It is a bit tedious, and I think that I could just comb it with my Viking Combs, and the hairs might comb out, but that will be for another sampling. (I might research some of the other breeds that have guard hairs, and how their owners handle the fleece.)





Fluff!





                                        Hair!



Here they are side by side.  The amount of hair you see is not just from that bit of fluff, there is more fluff that has been partially de-haired.   The fluff is much, much finer than the hair, and I suppose I could leave the hair in, but I think I will like the finished product much more without the hair.  Once I finish de-hairing, I will pull out my combs and see how it does!




ETA!  I have some pictures of the processed Nigora.

Here it is in the comb, almost finished!
Here is the finished Top!   It is not perfect, I know, there are a few little neps in there, I think that a 4 tine comb set might be in order to comb this really super fine fleece.  I wish I could convey just how soft it is, it must be like angora rabbit!

Maybe later this week I will have some spun up to show you.


Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

2 comments:

  1. That is such wonderful fiber!!! Maybe they'll be a new goat in your herd before long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look soft. I was wondering if you could leave the hair in. I guess it would make a different feel to the fiber.

    ReplyDelete