Friday, January 6, 2012

Hollywood Place-mat Warp

 I am well on my way to finishing this place-mat warp.  I started with 4 using a medium fabric, then continued with 4 using a lighter fabric.
Here is the beginnings of one using a darker fabric.

The fabrics side by side, on my new studio cart. (yea cart!)
All three together, (you can just see the medium on the cloth beam.)

I will probably finish it all tomorrow, cut it off and sew the hems, on the treadle sewing machine.  (I think a sewn hem holds up much longer than a fringed one does.)
I am also on the last half of my January sock project, (a scarf :) ), and hope to finish that tomorrow too.  I will then get back to my knitting UFO's and plan a new project for the empty loom.  It just might have something to do with a 100yd warp!  Stay tuned!

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

4 comments:

  1. Tina, do you weave a thread weft for an inch or so, to make your hems skinny enough to sew on the machine? I'm just in the middle of cutting strips for my first rag placemats & had planned on hemstitching &/or overhand tyeing with fringe, but I'm open to what works best. I just made some mug rugs, without thread weft, & with too-short fringe for easy tyeing--don't plan to make that mistake again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina,
    That looks like fun weaving. I love weaving with fabric as there are so many color/pattern choices out there. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been doing a 2 inch hem allowance using the same carpet warp as for the warp,for my hems. That may seem like a lot, but I can always cut it down if I need to. That is what I do for my Baby Blankets, and they are made with carpet warp too! I may do a narrower one next time around, I will know more after I have hemmed these. (Also, if you are using a finer gauge thread, you could do less as well.)

    ReplyDelete