Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Art Yarn?

Carol brought a bunch of her thrums yesterday, thrums are lengths of yarn, sometime almost a yard long, that are left over from a weaving project.  You never can weave the whole length, there is always some left between the back beam and the reed.  I was supposed to have brought my Louet S10, but like so many other things I was supposed to bring, I forgot it!  

We caught a glimpse of some yarn on a blog this week that was so interesting.  It seems that someone took some thrums and spun them up into Art Yarn.  The blogger then took the yarn and used it as weft for place mats. I have never spun Art Yarn before, and I am not at all sure how to do it.  I have looked on You Tube to see if there was any video that could give me some guidance, but was unsuccessful.

I took the thrums home and today I decided to try a few things,  I first started by sorting by length and colors.  I combined as many colors as I could, trying to get away from just using blues, which would be my natural inclination.  Here is the bundle, blues, greens, grays, purples, black and white.   The lengths are anywhere from 25 to 30 inches. 
I bundled them loosely with a single strand of yarn.
I then hung them on the distaff, what a mess!

I decided to not use a core thread for the first go round.  The colors work well together, but as you can see by the "yarn" below on the bobbin, there is a lot of yarn sticking out from the "yarn".  It is also really thick, and seems over twisted too!  I am not sure I like it.  
Next, I will try using a thin yarn as a core to see if I like it better.

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

3 comments:

  1. You go, girl!!! That's just what you needed...a new fiber project to start the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. It is just a bit thick looking. Maybe a thinner core yarn will be the trick.

    ReplyDelete