Monday, November 7, 2011

Something New!

It is actually something I have been mulling over for quite some time.  While we were at R & M Yarns on Friday, Lou Ann and I saw a rug woven in a shag style using roving as the pile.  I have a lot of clean fleece, and I have a rug warp on the Newcome with spacing that would be perfect for it.

Last night I tried it out a  little bit.


The wool is some Romeny, that I have left over from processing.  It isn't suitable for fine spinning, but it is still very soft.  I have run it thru the drum carder to straighten the fibers out.  In the picture you can see the header and the first row of fluff.


between each row of fluff I am placing 3 pics of carpet warp as a binder.  I thought I had a picture of the underside of the rug but it isn't showing up in the right folder.  When I took the picture, however I realized that I needed a better plan for spacing the puffs O' fluff, and consequently I will be taking out the 3 rows that I have done, and work on my system.

I plan to make myself a couple of bench cushions, and I will be felting them somewhat in the bathtub, just to make sure everything holds it's place.  I will also play with the natural colors of roving that I have on hand to make it interesting.

That's it for now, it is up to the studio for me. 

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

3 comments:

  1. I just love the idea of using it ALL up.....I knew when I saw that rug that it would fit what you had been wanting to do!!! And the best part of it will be when you're sitting on it and weaving....and your bottom will love it, too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see how this turns out. I had thought of trying something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea. When you get it tweaked let us see it again.

    ReplyDelete