Friday, September 30, 2011

This weeks colors

I finished Rebeccas Coverlet, and it will be there before she has to start her chemo!

This is the first time I have done a blanket using my pre-washed cotton warp for the weft.  I am happy to say that it washed beautifully!  I ran it thru the dryer first hoping to set the color, then washed it in cold water, and even though it did run just a little, the "color catcher"caught every bit of it!


I have started using the washing machine to pre-wash my colors.  I skein them off, place several ties and place them in the washer where the hot water awaits them.  I soak them (no agitation, please) for several hours, then spin them out.  I repeat this as many times as it takes to get clear water.  Sometimes it is 2 times, other times it is 5!
Here are the colors I washed this week.

Copper, the same as Rebecca's blanket, followed by Aqua, then Moody Blue.  The Copper took 5 washes, the Aqua took 1 wash and the Moody Blue took 3 washes.  If you hold them up to unwashed skeins you can't tell that there is any color gone at all!  It is amazing!


I plan to skein up some more colors this afternoon,  I have been using 2 tubes of carpet warp per skein.  I can get 3 skeins easily in the washer, so really it is going quickly.  Most of the time involved is the soaking time, so it doesn't really take alot of my attention, really.  They dry in about 24 hours, and are really easy to work with.  I place them back on the swift and wind my bobbins from the skein.  They don't tangle or pull,  the bobbins wind just as smooth as can be.

That is it for today,
until next week, Happy Weaving, Tina



3 comments:

  1. It's hard to believe that the colors run that much, but it's a good thing you have prewashed the thread!!! Those just are too beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you got the method of prewashing down pat. What beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Loved your blog. I use to weave years ago and I still have my Baby wolf. So I am trying to relearn what I knew at what time.I read you use carpet warp where do you get your carpet warp? Thanks Cheri

    ReplyDelete