Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Stepping Back in Time (picture heavy)

Today was a very special day.  My good friend, Kathy,  and I spent the day together.  We took a step back in time into the Great Smoky Mountains.  She had on her backpack full of painting supplies, and I had a pack full of spinning supplies.

We parked at Metcalf bottom, mostly because there was a bathroom there that we could take advantage of before and after the hike.

We hiked from the parking lot for 0.6 mile, we climbed a small ridge and  passed over creeks on log bridges, and the first destination was the Greenbrier School.  This is a one room school house that is pretty much like it was when it was built in the late 1880's.

We visited the graveyard and then continued for another 1.2 miles, the woods were cool and full of birds and flowers, it was wonderful!
 We finally made it to the Walker Sisters Cabin.  Here is the house.  This is the livingroom fireplace, and the porch is there on the far side.
Here is the kitchen fireplace, and the same porch.
A great corncrib, you can almost see it bursting with corn.









An ancient hydrangia, with a quaint burn barrel, too!

Here is the porch that we took over for the rest of the day.
 I brought my little spindle wheel, I had decided to take the cotton bolls I had bought and master the art cotton spinning.
I had attached a strap to the wheel so that I could throw it over my shoulder.













Raw cotton, seeds and all!







Seedless!








Cotton Carders




A roll of cotton ready to spin. 

I took a bread after awhile, and took a look at what Kathy was painting. 


Here is my station across from her.  We took a break for lunch, then went back to work.






I am very pleased with my progress, still a work in progress, but much better!
 She said that she was going to paint the spring house!










We packed it up at about 3pm, since we still had to hike out.  I got home at 6:30, fed the animals and hit the shower.  It was a wonderful day, we are planning 1 outing a month. September is already planned.  I think I will bring my knitting next time, it isn't nearly as heavy!



Until next time, Happy Spinning, Tina

3 comments:

  1. LOVE the painting!!!! I'm so glad you had such a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to spend a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to take a day and go back to the relaxing time. Sounds like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete