Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Thinking outside the box

I am sitting here all ready to head out to Norris, where the Tuesday Weavers get together every Tuesday.  But I am waiting on an egg, you see I take my surplus eggs to the center to sell to the weavers, and I need just one more egg to complete a dozen.  If only take the one dozen there just might be a riot!  The hens are just getting going after the long winter months, and the eggs have surely been missed by all. 

While I am waiting, I thought I would do an update on Sally.  In the picture above you can see the shaft wonkiness I was talking about on Friday over on Tuesday Weavers.
One of the first things I did was buy 4 pulleys to see if I could improve the balance.  It  did seem to help, but not tremedously.  I was then looking at everything I could find online and noticed that the treadles were mounted on the top of their beam and not on the bottom, so I switched that around.  After re-adjusting  tie ups for the zillionth time there was still quite a bit of wonkiness going on.  I then noticed that the shafts are only pulled at the center, and I thought I would try something totally different.

I took a length of cord and fastened it to each end of the bottom shaft stick, using the holes that are there.  I then took a heddle and brought it up thru the lamm and around the cord and back thru the lamm.  I fastened it with a peg.  I really got a much better shed and alot less wonkiness!  It still needs help with the treadle fastened to shafts 3 and 4, but I can usually manage to do it or I stop to straighten.  I know that this is just a temporary fix, now we know why this loom came to LA with a totally different set of harnesses on it.  I plan to convert the loom to a countermarche system in the near future, I have heard several places that it will fix the problem and give me a wonderful shed each and every time.  I am also going to check into getting 4 more shafts for it, but that will wait until after the conversion.  Can you imagine 8 shafts doing all that crazyness!


The first mug rug that Sally and I did turned out pretty good I think.  I can see where I started to relax and beat a little gentler on the last half.  I am totally liking the overhead beater!




I am off to check for that egg and then ready for one of my fun days.
Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

3 comments:

  1. Neat! You're a loom engineer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for waiting for my egg!!! I think I will have eggs for dinner tonight!!!! You are the loom guru (in my humble opinion!) I think that Sally must like you the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mug rug looks great. Good work. You will get it the way you want it in time.

    ReplyDelete