Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Several Things (not favorite ones)

We all know that cotton is very absorbant, it makes wonderfully absorbant kitchen towels and bath towels and such.  However did you know,  that if you are out digging a ditch to deflect rain away from your barn, in the pouring rain, smack dab under the drip line, that your cotton jeans that you carefully tucked into your wonderful knee high rubber boots, will just channel all that water right to your toes!  I think in theory I knew that, but I now have the proof.

Another thing is, that no matter how many sides you dig, you will still have to do the last side, so that the dogs will stay dry too!  (Not today!)

 And another, wet clay is really heavy!

Your hair will come undone, but only when your gloves are covered in mud.

Digging in the rain is not that unpleasant really, you are working, so you are staying warm.  Once you have had enough however, you are suddenly wetter than you have ever been, and colder than you thought you were.

No matter how fast you try to make it to the bathroom without dripping, it doesn't really matter, it is kind of like trying to go fast enough to miss the raindrops.

Wet cold clothes are almost impossible to get off without a struggle. ( I was standing in the tub by then, still dripping.) 

The phone will always ring when you are trying to get off wet cold clothes.

On the other hand,

There is nothing like a hot shower and hot oatmeal to warm you up and get you ready to face the rest of the day.  (I usually have some coffee before I go out and feed, but I don't have breakfast til I come back in.)  I had gone out to feed everyone this am and was just fed up with all the water still making it's way inside the barn.  I was already out and a little wet too, and the shovel and wheel barrow were handy, so I started to dig the ditch on the west side of the barn.    One thing led to another and since I had increased the water flow to the sides we had already dug, I went over and widened the drain off ditch just a little where it seemed to be narrow.  By then it was 9:30am and that is when I decided that it was enough, and came inside.

Inside on a day like this is much better.  Today I will rethread the edges of the Kings Flower blankets to flow better with the pattern.





I will also weave another mug rug or two for  the Fiber Festival that is coming up.  Oh, I happend to go to Wally World the other day and there I checked out their stools to see if they had anything I could use for a bench  with the Glimakra.   I was pleased to find this:





I like it's small size, and it is just the right height!



Yesterday when we had finished at the Weaving goings on at the Art Center,  Linda and I high tailed it out to see a new kind of hay feeder to use for our goats when we have to be away for an extended time.


This is what we came home with.  I plan to alter this a little.  I want to put some boards inside the feeder in the shape of an inverted v, or maybe just from the top of one side to the bottom of the other side .  I don't want the goats to be able to get to all the hay at once,  I want it to have to slide down to them as they eat it.  They are such wasters of hay!  It will have to wait til everything dries out though, I am not going back out there!

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

2 comments:

  1. I love that bench/stool! And, I'm really glad Sally is behaving herself with you!!! Those mug rugs were beautiful! I hope the ditch does the trick this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love that bench! In fact, I have the very same one for my loom. After trying to figure out how I was going to come up with $200 to a loom bench, I spotted one in my local Ross store. Exact same size and shape as the $200 loom bench. I think I paid $19 for it, no more than $29 for sure!

    ReplyDelete