Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Queen of Weft!


  While the other weavers are concentrating on warp, I seem to be stuck on weft!  Last week I showed you how I took a wad of pearl cotton and turned it into a shawl blank.







 This week I am taking some  white fabric strips that we found at the center and I am skeining it up and tying loosely in a couple of places.  We will probably use this for placemats once we are done with our dye pots.  You may not know it, (but I don't know how you could have missed it), but this weekend is our second Weaving Weekend.  This time we decided to do a Dye Day.

I was tickled to death, since it would be impossible for me to teach any of it!  You see I have drawn the line at the Dye Pot.  I have sworn that I will not take on another hobby.  That means I will NOT buy anything that has to do with dyeing fiber, I will not store anything that has to do with dyeing fiber (or dyeing fabric for that matter),  I will not initiate anything that will suck me into the vortex of another hobby!

That being said, I will happily prepare fabric and gauze that are already in my possesion for such an event.  The gauze was some that I got at the same time as the pearl cotton.  I had donated it to the center, cause I didn't have a clue what to do with it.  We played with it some a couple of years ago, in a dye bath, and we were really pleased with the results.
It is amazing how many gauze skeins I got from this one wheel.


There have got to be 5 or 6 of them in there.  I tried to get them about the same size, but I didn't really measure or anything.   So there you have it, tomorrow I will finish the shawl blanks and I may take a look at my fabric spools to see if I have anything that is dye worthy, (since I already own it).  I will then be set for the Weaving Weekend.



Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

2 comments:

  1. I guess you could say that I'm just a life long learner! So....what do you want to learn next Spring if we do another retreat???? Be thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be doing a little weft, too, for the baby blankets you inspired! But mostly warp, if I can get my butt out of my desk chair and away from the computer!

    ReplyDelete