Monday, October 11, 2010

Confronting my fears!

After my last post I got an email from my friend Carol.  Carol is a very talented production weaver.  You can see some of her brilliance shine thru over on Loomy Tunes since she posts over there one day a week.  Anyway, I got this email, she said "You really need to get a serger!  It will save you so much time!"  I had to shamefacedly confess to her that I already had a serger, and that I just was not that comfortable with it yet! 

You know first of all what a pain they are to thread, then what if the tensions are not just right, and what if a thread breaks!!!  I could really go on and on about it!  The truth is I was a little overwhelmed with it and too chicken to buckle down and learn how to use it!   But, I had that stack of stuff looking at me, just laughing at me!


You know what I did next don't you.  I pulled the little machine out from it's hiding place, rethreaded it, and got started.  Now a couple of times a thread did break, and you know what, it wasn't the end of the world!  I just rethreaded and continued on.  First I did all the stuff that needed the white thread, then changed to dark threads for the rest.  I had to rummage around in my thread bag for some dark spools since I don't have the big spools of dark.  It went ok really it did!

You see before you 6 Rag Rugs, 6 Placemats and a Runner, and 10 Breadcloths!  It really did take about half of the time it would have taken me if I had insisted in chickening out and not using the Serger.  Now I can hem them up and they are ready to go.

 
And now I would like to introduce you to my new best friend!





Thanks Carol, for the kick in the pants!

Until next time, Happy Weaving, Tina

2 comments:

  1. Now you have another tool in your tool box!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look great. I too have a hate/love relationship with my serger. Mostly I love it but sometimes......;)

    ReplyDelete